Sunday, May 9, 2010

Part One


And so the drama begins. Mother's day is a mixed blessing for me. I have 6 beautiful children. They bring me more joy than pain, laughter than tears, happiness than grief. I have an awesome husband who loves and adores me and treats me like his girlfriend. For this I am blessed and happy.

But this day inevitably also brings grief. Thirteen years ago the drama of my life started. We went out for dinner for mothers day. I was 23 and a 1/2 weeks pregnant with our twin sons. Already they had been our miracle babies. When I first went to the first OB appointment the doctor told us that it was an unviable birth and that if I didn't get a DNC that I was going to bleed like hell when my body started self aborting. That felt so wrong to me, I went for a second opinion. The next doctor found a heartbeat. But at 20 weeks, he said that some of my blood test numbers were off and that I needed to get in for an ultra sound right away. The tech said "Oh I see the problem right here...Here is baby A and here is baby B!!" We had twin boys whom we found out later were identical.

At the restaurant, I had a hard time getting comfortable on the seats. I kept feeling pressure down there. The next day, I had the same pressure and some mild contractions. Dummy me, I was working on a project and had to finish it before I would go to the doctors. I was only 24 weeks, what could be wrong. Well, after my mom-in-law drove me to the doctors, I found out I was in labor. They rushed me to the hospital and filled me up with the most awfulest drugs to stop the labor. I remember being sssooo hot and yucky. They gave me shots and did more ultrasounds and got everything back under control. Or so they thought.

They finally put me in my own room and kept me over night. The next day I really started to regret all the baby carrots I had been eating. They were my craving that pregnancy. They also gave me the runs. I thought I had really bad gas. What I had was back labor. Never mentioned the gas to the nurses or the doctors. They thought everything was fine. My hunny was going home to see the other kids and grab dinner. I said bye and headed to the bathroom.

2 comments: