Friday, July 20, 2012

Rant about Politcal Thugs

Rant time.
So yesterday, the kidos and I went to Fort Nisqually Historical Park with some friends and had a blast. Of course, I have no camera and the phone pics just didn't come out, so no pics. The kids had a great time and I hope learned a little something there too.
On the way there, we were struck by the number of political signs in the median. Most were for Democrats. Hmmm. I know that my husband had put a bunch of the signs of the Republican candidate he is working with up in those same areas. So had the other Republican candidates. But for the most part, they were gone. Curious don't you think.
Then on the way home, the kidos notice piles, and more than one, of pulled up signs on the side of the road. I dropped them off at the corner and had them run back and pick up any of the signs that belong to our candidate. I know how much those things cost. And how much time and energy it takes to get them up. All the way home we picked them up. There were a bunch of signs, not just ours, broken, torn or thrown in the streets. Most of them had R's on them.
My kids were flabbergasted. How do I explain this to them? How do I explain that the other side is so afraid that their message isn't strong enough to stand on its own that they need to remove all signs of opposition. How do I explain that the other side is so tolerant of multiple ideas, unless they disagree with them of course. How do I explain that the other side wants people to have choices, as long as it is one that they choose. Aargggghhh.
But on the other hand, I am so happy that my kidos have taken ownership of their government. They are more aware of what is going on and what is at stake. As they picked up the signs, they were waving them as they walked down the sidewalk to get back to the car. As we continued on the drive, whenever they saw the signs of our candidate, they would shout, in the car mind you, "There is one of our signs!"
So there you go, rant.
Vote for David "Ike" Eichner!

1 comment:

  1. I. hate. politics.

    I had no idea that signs were being pulled out. How childish. It makes me lose faith in humanity just a bit...the same way I feel when I witness a bully. :-/

    ReplyDelete