Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fourth of July

Of all the non-biblical holidays, the Fourth of July has always been my favorite.
I guess that makes my oldest daughter's birthday appropriate. Yup, a firecracker baby.
I grew up in a military family and on many different posts. I grew up listening to the Army band march around the neighborhoods playing John Philip Sousa music. I remember decorating my bike with streamers and wearing my colonial clothes riding or marching behind them. I also remember the local parades around the nation, from the small town of Hope, KS to the town of Morgan Hill, Ca and many others, where locals gather to celebrate. And I love, love, love fireworks! (Kinda my personality, big and loud ^.^)
I love the Fourth because it is a reminder that we live in such a great nation. (One of the best parts is that we can have dissenting opinions and still be free express them, so I won't argue that point with anyone.) It is a time that we can stand together as neighbors and just enjoy being Americans. A great big birthday party.
I think another reason I like it is that it is a time to be with family and friends. This year we partied with some great friends and were able to be on post with the great men and women who defend and fight for our country. We had so much fun. My favorite part was watching the kids on the climbing rock.

Look how high this little one got! It was amazing!


It was free ^.^ More courage than I have, that is for sure!
They got to pet lizards, bang on music makers, and run and play together before watching the Army put on a very patriotic show and fireworks. The weather was perfect, not something you say in the PNW very often, and the food was yummmmmmy. Em got her birthday pie.
It is everything I wanted my children to remember it being.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had an awesome day! I can't believe Em is 20 now! :o)

    ReplyDelete