Monday, January 14, 2013

Movie Review with Spoilers for Les Mis

Movie Review!

I like musicals.  I like musicals with big sets, beautiful costumes and stunning voices.  I like musicals that move me.  I like to go out understanding what the heck just happened in there

I went to see Les Mis.(Can't figure out how to make my keyboard do that fancy s thing) 

The sets were amazing. I would love to have a coat like Inspector Javert's.  The cinamatography was stunning.  The sets complemented the movie and as magnificent as they were, did not distract. The teeth make up was pretty cool.  The rest of the make up was simplistically real. Some of the performances moved me.

And yet....

At the risk of offending all my artsy friends..
.
I didn't get it. 

Like I don't get poetry, except for limericks, I get those.

Some of the things I didn't think I would like, like Russel Crowe, I loved.  I listened to too many reviews.  I really enjoyed his voice and acting.  But what I didn't get was why he committed suicide.
Yeah, really didn't get that. 
And I think I wanted to be sad for him but when he made that crunch sound, all sad feelings went away and all I was left with was ewww!

I liked Ann Hathaway.  Didn't expect the graphicness of the awful things she suffered.  But truly felt bad for her character.  Her voice matched the rawness of Fantine's experience.

My favorite characters had to be Carter and Cohen as the Thenardiers.  Consistently funny and foul throughout. 

The young actors and singers were really good.  I look forward to seeing many of them in other things. 

Notice who I didn't mention.
Mmmhmm.
Yup.
Didn't like him.
Not much anyway.
He had moments.
His acting was amazing.  I will give him that.  I think he really captured the complexity of Valjean.  I think I  listened to too many reviews again.  Maybe if my expectations hadn't been so high, I would not have been so...underwhelmed. 

I'm assuming that there were a lot of metaphors that I just didn't get.  The candlesticks were pretty easy.  The barricade, not so much.

So there I was at the end, weeping quietly, the only time I wept, and was feeling all emotional about him going to heaven and all, and then there was this barricade.

What?

And all the dead people are singing the revolution song.
They lost and all died for not.
Why are they so happy now?
I don't get it.

I read this review, an honest opinion of the movie.  I guess I should have listened.  I too wondered why all the cockney accents in France.

Oh, and don't take kids.  Not appropriate.  We don't celebrate Christmas, but how they treated Santa was just wrong.  Way too much raunch and graphic raunch for kids.  I found myself trying to cover my twenty year old's eyes, and she is twenty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment